The WELL Building Standard® (WELL) is a performance-based system for measuring, certifying, and monitoring features of the built environment that impact the health and wellbeing of the people who live, work, and learn in the buildings. It is applicable to new or existing buildings and interior fit-outs.
- The first standard of its kind that focuses solely on the health and wellness of building occupants.
- The WELL Building Standard marries best practices in design and construction with evidence-based health and wellness interventions
- Identifies 100 performance metrics, design strategies, and policies that can be implemented by the owners, designers, engineers, contractors, users and operators of a building.
- WELL is based on a thorough review of the existing research on the effects of spaces on individuals and has been advanced through a thorough scientific and technical review.
- WELL Certified™ spaces and developments can lead to a built environment that helps to improve the mood, sleep, comfort, nutrition, fitness, and performance of its occupants.
WELL focuses on seven categories of building performance: air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort, and mind.
Pioneered by Delos, the WELL Building Standard is grounded in evidence-based medical research that demonstrates the connection between the buildings where we spend more than 90 percent of our time and health and wellness impacts on us as occupants. The WELL Building Standard is administered by the International WELL Building Institute™ and third-party certified by Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI).
Ludwig Design Consulting is focusing on this revolutionary new tool for clients in South Africa. Please make contact for more information on how to incorporate these concepts into your projects or to pursue WELL certification.